Perfect for a light summer dinner or side dish. For this recipe you’ll need:
- Fresh arugula-bagged or 1 bunch.
- 2 Butternut squash-cubed see instruction below.
- 1/2 box of penne pasta.
- Turkey Bacon-5+ strips will do it; for this recipe I used nearly 10 because of a bacon lover in my household. Regular bacon is also fine to use.
- 1/2 cup of Goat cheese (you can always amp it up if you’re a cheesehead).
- EVOO for drizzle.
1. First we want to prep our squash. Cut butternut squash in halves & remove seeds. To cook the squash you can:
- Peel it & boil until tender (covered)
- Steam for 10-15 minutes
- Bake them with cut sides down for 40 minutes.
- Pierce whole squash with fork or knife, wrap in paper towel & microwave until hot, 3-4minutes. Cut in half, remove seeds & microwave for 6 minutes more minutes.
For this recipe my squash were peeled, steamed & cubed. Once tender remove from heat & set aside to cool.
2. Cook pasta, boil uncovered, drain (after draining I like to add a little drizzle of EVOO so the pasta doesn’t stick) and set aside to cool.
3. Now you will cook your turkey bacon to your desired liking. Tab with towel to remove any excess grease. Set aside to cool.
4. Wash and cut up arugula. Toss in salad spinner to remove excess water.
Now is the fun part:
5. Dump arugula into large bowl and pour your cooled butternut squash over greens.
6. Use your hands to tear your bacon strips apart and sprinkle over squash and greens.
7. Lightly drizzle EVOO over bacon, arugula and squash and mix it up.
8. Sprinkle goat cheese over your salad.
9. Salt & black pepper to taste.